It can be tough to find the perfect photographer for your images. Who to work with? How do you know what you’re getting? What will ensure the quality of the final image…and a great outcome? When weighing portfolios and websites, it is necessary to look at these 5 areas before you make that professional photographer hire:
1. Capabilities: Do they have a portfolio of similar work? Do you see something congruous with your ideas (a similar style for the photography, for example) – that would lead you to believe that they can do this for you too? If you don’t see a professional photograph similar to your concept, that doesn’t mean the photographer in question is incapable of producing the work…it just leaves more up to chance. Go through the portfolio carefully to see if you can envision this particular person creating a photo evocative of your vision.
2. Experience: Who have they worked with? Who are their advocates? Do they have a roster of clients that speak to their abilities…or are you unsure of who their clientele are? Do you see behind-the-scenes shots or shoots referenced on their social media channels? Do you hear clients singing their praises…or just crickets? Basically the question is whether they have the experience and the chops to execute the shoot you envision…as well as the experience to deal with anything that could potentially go wrong. And right it immediately. And make it amazing.
3. Professionalism: How professional do they seem? Website, social media, email interactions, project management – are they on top of things or do they seem to drop the ball? Do they have a Team that handles whatever you could need on your project? Do you feel taken care of? Is their focus on YOU? This is an area where, if something is amiss, it is usually obvious immediately. From your first interaction to your last, you should feel that you can trust the professional you’ve chosen, and that they have all the i’s dotted and t’s crossed.
4. Quality: Is the overall feel of the photographer’s work high-quality with a great deal of thought put into it…or do you see slapdash mistakes? How is the styling, the lighting, the sharpness of the photo? Do all the details cohere to create a uniform story? Is nothing overlooked? Do all the elements support the story…or detract? When you feel a balanced harmony when looking at the photograph, the overall quality will shine through.
5. Results: A photo is a means to an end. Will it make people stop in its tracks…or will it be glossed over? Will it tell the story you want it to…or will it miss the mark? A lot of this relies on your gut feeling about your photography partner prior to the shoot…but you can also make an educated guess based on the work in the photographer’s portfolio. You also need to define what would be a success for the photography you need…and how to gauge the results once complete.
If you haven’t gotten the results you’ve been looking for from your photography provider, maybe it’s time to switch. The Team at Studio 3 is always here to partner with you to execute your vision…and push your campaigns to the next level. Give us a ring and see.